Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Addyson Grace: An Angel Going Home

I met little Addyson Grace at my brother's wedding in 2010. She was 3 months old at the time. A beautiful baby with her soft little red curls and perfect rose bud lips. Sweet, kissable, darling Baby Addy.

It was a short time later that her parents learned that she had a rare neurological condition known as Lissencephaly. The prognosis was not good. From what I understand, in the absolute best case scenario, they can live into their teens. But the longer these sweet children live, the more pain they suffer. Deformity, seizures, breathing problems, aspiration... A parent's worst nightmare.

But Addyson is one of those types of babies that just crawls right into your heart. She is a picture of angelic beauty. You fall in love with her... You ache for her to be okay... You pray for a miracle.


She could not have been born into a more loving family. Her mommy, Ashlee, pours herself into caring for this precious child. Loving her, nurturing her, and selflessly rejoicing for her sweet baby girl to know a perfect, pain-free body when she goes Home. Ashlee is probably the strongest woman I know.

Last week Addyson began struggling with her feedings and a bad cough. The doctors determined that her little body was beginning to shut down. Her loving parents had to make the tough decision that in order to insure her utmost comfort, it was time to disconnect all the wires and tubes and accept the inevitable. They were told they could expect about a week with her... A week to hold, cuddle, love and cherish her.

I get teary thinking about what Jesse and Ashlee are facing. How does a parent plan their own child's funeral? It feels so wrong.... Yet for Addy, it is so perfect.

I am going to forever be grateful for the chance I had to go visit them in the hospital yesterday. She was awake... and beautiful... and serene... I got to hold her and feel her soft breath on my face. I won't ever forget that... Because who would forget being in the presence of an angel? I am so blessed to have known this beautiful little girl.

While we mortals get to celebrate the birth of Christ, Baby Addyson gets her own wings to go join the heavenly choir and sing "Glory to God in the Highest!" And for her I rejoice.


  
"A couple days ago, I still hadn't gotten Addyson anything for Christmas because I still wasn't sure what to get for her. Now she will be going home with our Lord Jesus. She is going to the most perfect place. She is going to have the most perfect body where she can sing to the music she loved to listen to while here on earth, walk, run, jump, talk, will be seizure free, and will be able to see Jesus face to face. Now THAT is what I call a Christmas gift, not only for Addy but for mommy too! Thinking of her bouncing curly piggy tails running and jumping only brings happy tears to my eyes :) So some say why now with Christmas just around the corner? But I say, why NOT Christmas? Its the best gift Addyson could ever receive!! Mommy and Daddy Love you baby girl!" --Ashlee on Facebook when she announced that little Addy was going Home.

If you could keep little Addyson and her family in your prayers, I know they would appreciate it! Specifically, that Addyson remains comfortable and does not have any more seizures. For peace and strength and comfort and understanding to surround Jesse and Ashlee and their three year-old twins.

More photos from yesterday on Facebook -- Addyson Grace
Addyson's family last summer--Jesse & Ashlee and Kids

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, this brought tears to my eyes. Will pray for this precious family.

    ReplyDelete